- One of the jobs of an analyst is to determine the organizations business needs or objectives and then improve the effectiveness of IT in meeting those needs and objectives. I would be good for this job because I am a very organized person and I love scheduling. Also I am in Industrial design and I like to think of new innovative ways to improve in processes as well as being very detail oriented.
- I have multi-tasking skills and the ability to balance multiple priorities and keep up with the different project scope changes learned through university.
- Good presentation skills, and ability to communicate with various audiences, including end users, managers and member of the IT team. Being in Industrial design, I have good presentation skills and have gained the ability to communicate effectively with various users through different mediums.
- I have a great interest in IT technology and this interest would be useful especially with the future moving towards providing efficiency to organizations through IT solutions.
- I have great leadership skills and love a challenge. I am good with people and therefore work well with clients and other people.
Thursday, 22 November 2012
Between a software engineer and a business analyst I would rather be an analyst. A business analyst is someone who analyzes the operations and design of an organization, in order to come up with solutions to the organizations problems I would rather be a business analyst for the following reasons:
Friday, 16 November 2012
The amount of network intelligence is significantly growing and allows businesses to learn about their consumers and to use the information gained to reduce costs in improving the efficiency and effectiveness of company processes and gain revenue in customer relationship management. But some things can be taken to far. Personally, I am protective of my personal information more specifically my:
- Financial information. I would feel very uncomfortable if companies had access to my bank account (debit and credit card), the amount of money I deposit and withdrawal and the items I purchase. To me personal information should stay personal and therefore the banks should ensure my information stays secure and confidential from any company willing to use it.
- Medical information. My medical history from dentists, orthodontists and doctors should not be shared to any other company and should remain confidential.
- My passwords and usernames
- Geographical information. With the increased popularity of Facebook, I am concerned about the possible use of facial recognition software for gaining information. The possibility of people knowing what you post on social networks, using the pictures to track who you are and using both posts and pictures to target where you and your friends are geographically.
- Saved conversations with family and friends on online social media such as Facebook, Skype or MSN chat rooms.
Personally, I would rather keep my information private, but there are few exceptions where it would be acceptable to use it for my online shopping experience or for my safety. Features such as product recommendations and features that make it easier for me to find what I am looking for on search engines. Technology benefits us all, as long as it is used for the right reasons.
Wednesday, 24 October 2012
As petGRO evolves it's business model from a traditional manufacturer/ wholesaler, by eliminating the retail intermediary, customers will now be able to purchase products and services through an online store. Therefore, petGRO must dramatically change IS infrastructure to suit this change. PetGRO will use the Internet to coordinate a network of suppliers and business partners who will carry out many of the processes involved in building, distributing and supporting pet products.
- Viruses: FedEx may be switching to apple products due to the recent wave in virus of PCs, so it may be more efficient to use apple products. Viruses are less common in Macintosh products using OS X systems because there are more computers that use Windows XP and Windows 7. But as apple products continue to increase in popularity there may be more virus’ arising. As long as safe computer protection practices such as updating software, and maintaining utility software (ex: firewall) are being done, using PCs will not be a problem.
- Digital Divide: There needs to be a strong system of communication with our Mexican plants. There is a possible digital divide in Mexico, where apple products may not be available. Communication may be made more efficient by staying with a product that is more popular throughout these areas of the world. Therefore, PCs would be a better choice.
- Cost: In the first two quarters, petGRO will experience a significant reduction in revenue from the amount of customers that will be lost due to switching to our competitors products when we stop providing our products in retail stores. Not only is Apple hardware more expensive, but also most existing desktops in petGRO are windows 7. Staying with PCs will save us money especially since we will be experiencing a decrease in revenue.
- Employee training: A large amount of time, money, and effort will be used to trying to train employees how to use this new processing system, for a majority of employees may not know how to use it. PCs will cost less in training, as more people know how to use Windows XP and 7 because they are more popular.
Wednesday, 3 October 2012
Due to the power outage that Carleton University experienced a few weeks ago, a backup emergency plan should be established in order to help students resume learning and to help submit lab assignments in case the power would happen to fail again. There are many different group collaboration tools existing today and for this suggested backup plan it, would be necessary to take advantage of them.
- Dropbox is a file hosting service that students can download for free and have up to 18 GB of cloud storage. Through this service, the TA can share a folder with all the students who attend their lab and save all the lab powerpoint presentations to this folder. The students and TA can also use this folder to submit and grade work. If the TA set a deadline time or date to submit the assignment, students would not only be graded on the assignment but also a grade would be given on submitting the assignment on time which would substitute for the attendance mark given in the lab.
- Skype could also be useful depending on the difficulty of the assignment. Skype is a free VoI service that is available to communicate to others over the internet through video. Most students have updated computers with webcams built in. If the TA decided a time, those students could connect with the TA on Skype for a taught lesson. Skype has a screen shot option where the students would be able to see the TAs screen as he or she goes through the steps of how to complete the assignment.
- Facebook is another great available resource. Most students currently have a Facebook account. The TA could create a group and invite every student in the lab to join. If the students have any questions about the assignment they could contact other students, or the TA. This could also be used to submit work.
- If there are any questions or concerns about the lesson, the TA's personal email should be provided to the students so they can contact them at anytime.